[Dev-luatex] \luatexdatestamp use

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Oct 1 11:24:49 CEST 2013

On 10/1/2013 11:19 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 10/01/2013 11:11 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>> as long as we keep the (unique) date in the luatex banner ... context
>> uses that for automatically regenerating the format etc and that's a
>> feature I'd not like to see go awa
>
> Does it matter to you whether it is an actual date string, or could it
> be a subversion revision number? (both are possible, the date string
> would simply switch to the datetime associated with the subversion
> revision instead of the actual build date).

anything that distinguishes is fine although when developing, i guess
that not all iterations go into svn so we need to figure out a way ...
for production it's less important but i remember that we introduced the
date because in a extensive dev cycle it is really convenient

maybe there is a way to distinguish a release from a branch and use only
dates for branches; it would also mean that when we have a release, that
there will not be patches and fixes without bumping the number (or else
we get support hell) as we did in the past