[Dev-luatex] Extension language integration of LuaTeX and LilyPond

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue May 7 21:58:09 CEST 2013

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

> in cases where you use tex as processsing engine one can avoid most
> tex and especially nasty parsing by just keeping the tricky stuff at
> the lua end or in the case of lilypond at the lisp end: just avoid
> parsing at the tex end and spit out predictable tex code ... no user
> is going to see it

On second reading, I guess that we have different opinions about the
relative importance of making power accessible to the hoi polloi.

But even experienced users stand to gain when they are able to focus on
the task at hand rather than getting sidetracked with actually unrelated
finger exercises.  Streamlining communication and integrating the
systems is not mere luxury.

Whatever.  We can exchange platitudes all day, but that leads nowhere.
I've made my point, and not being actively involved with LuaTeX, that's
all I can hope to do.  For the LilyPond project, this approach has
helped in recruiting and enabling a few power users now helping other
users and enlarging the community.

But of course, that is my own impression and not based on statistically
significant numbers.

All the best

--
David Kastrup