[Dev-luatex] Extension language integration of LuaTeX and LilyPond

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue May 7 16:55:28 CEST 2013

Hi David,

On May 7, 2013, at 1:13 PM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> I've added some rough sketches at the end of the article that should
> make clear why this can't be done in formats alone but will require
> primitive support as well if things are supposed to turn out nicely.

My brain is wired such that code in the scheme language never clarifies anything, I fear. Nevertheless, I picked up something interesting from your postscript, and that is the tex:get_dimen() construct. Ignoring the catcode issues for the moment, I feel that the main reason why it is so hard currently to interface TeX -> Lua at the moment is the near-uselessness of the 'token' library. Extending that library (and its embedding) in such a way that it can reliably fetch various 'units' like dimensions and skips and integers from the input (either file or tokenlist), with or without expansion, would help a lot, IMO.

The Lua -> TeX route is better covered at the moment, take e.g. ConTeXt's CLD files and Patrick's typesetting engine that is almost completely lua-based.

As usual, I am busy with other stuff, but that does not stop me from --at least-- thinking about improving things.