[Dev-luatex] Luajittex 0.72.0 announcement

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 12:08:36 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Patrick Gundlach <patrick at gundla.ch> wrote:
> Hi Luigi,
>

>> there is a new project on supelec: Luajittex.
>
> more feedback from me:
>
> a sample project with my publisher:
>
> * normal luatex: 1m13sec
> * luajittex: 45 sec
> * luajittex --jiton. 42 sec
hm, --jiton is better that default...strange but possible,
if you are not using  the NYI functions in http://wiki.luajit.org/NYI
Of course if your  publisher now uses ffi http://luajit.org/ext_ffi.html
(a kind of C code) than performance is superior ---but is better to
pay attention to the garbage collector .

> To use it, I must be able to compile it on Linux/Mac/windows(mingw). I see that there's a mingw build file in the repository, so this looks like it's doable, right?

yes, the rules are
1) Linux : buildjit.sh
2) Mac OS X : buildjit-clang.sh
3) Windows buildjit-mingw32.sh cross compiled under Linux

buildjit-clang.sh should work also with Linux, assuming clang on standard PATH;
buildjit.sh should work under Mac OS X, assuming gcc on standard PATH.
I've not tried to build the luajittex.exe under Windows with mingw;
the executalbe from http://www.w32tex.org/
is up-to-date and is compiled with the ms compiler, which gives a
slightly better results.

The new luajit 2.0.1 was published yesterday: I will update luajittex
soon but not now --- I wait a liitle  for some fixes .

--
luigi