[Dev-luatex] building LuaTeX on mingw/msys

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 13:17:55 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Patrick Gundlach <patrick at gundla.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to build LuaTeX on windows / mingw/msys, but I fail with pkg-config:

Hi Patrick,

I wanted to send you a link to a recent discussion, but then realized
that it was a private one, so I'm sending you the relevant citation:

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2013, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> it is cairo's configure that, even though it does not really need
>> pkg-config,
>> still tests for its existence.
>
> ouch, I didn't realize this because I do have pkg-config for linux-ix86,
> linux-x86_64, and Mingw32 (cross).
>
> We certainly don't want to fiddle with cairo's fairly complex configure when
> we can expect new versions every now and then.
>
> You can, however, provide a fake pkg-config->/bin/true somewhere in your
> PATH.  This won't give you any CPP or LD flags but satisfies cairo.
>
> I have just tested this with i386-pc-mingw32-pkg-config->/bin/true.  In
> addition I had to use --with-fontconfig-{includes,libdir}=DIR but these are
> not needed for Mac OS X.
>
> Regards
> Peter

> Can anyone help me?

Install pkg-config or point the variable to /bin/true when configuring.
(An alternative would be patching Cairo's configure scripts in TeX
Live, but apparently that's not desired. Or you could file a bug
report to Cairo, requesting not to fail at pkg-config check when there
is no need for it.)

> Do all versions of LuaTeX require pkg-config or cairo?

Only since 0.74, I believe.

Mojca