[Dev-luatex] Filename encoding

Javier Múgica de Rivera javieraritz.ribadeo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 12:22:51 CET 2013

2013/12/9, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl>:

> You really have to make sure that you don't let the OS apply a locale to
> the name, so if e.g. you copy the string Canción.tex to the clipboard it
> can go from unicode to some code page and back

I  noticed that pasting the contents of the clipboard may change the
encoding. That is why I created the file Ωδη.tex, which must be stored
in some Unicode encoding. Given that it is not found by luatex, it is
not UTF-8. I suppose it is pure 16-bit Unicode, as Mindaugas pointed
in some previous reply.

> if you create files from (say) lua all goes ok as then no translation
> takes place

I had forgotten files created by Lua... It still seems to me that the
more robuts approach is to use UTF-16 for filenames when interacting
with the system, when creating them and/or opening for reading. The
only funciton involved is fopen, to be replaced by _wfopen or a
similar compiler-dependet name.