[Dev-luatex] Command line parsing

Javier Múgica de Rivera javieraritz.ribadeo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 19:13:34 CET 2013

>> Not being able to write accents or other kinds of characters in the
>> filename is a déja-vu form the protohistory of informatics.
>
> Says someone who is using Windows and cmd.exe :)

Yes... :) hand't thought about that point.

> May be solution could be using of .bat files, where command lines are
> put in UTF-8? Just guess.

Yes, that is a good solution.

> You could try Cygwin terminal as well – it uses UTF-8 for the input.
>
> What about Total Commander? Don't have it at the moment.

The best solution is probably a better command window that Window's
cmd. I'll look for them, but I only use cmd for simple things.

>>   Not being able to write accents or other kinds of characters in the
>> filename is a déja-vu form the protohistory of informatics.
> Think about filenames like some kind of names of variables. Do you
> experience any discomfort about lack of accents on them?
> Is the case really very first time, you have problems with accented
> filenames? Especially across different filesystems, like Hans mentioned?

It is not the first time, but the first time ir bothered me. I was
going to send the output pdf to some people. Not writing the name
properly is not terribly bad, but while I'm writing this message I
noticed that I forgot to rename the pdf, and when we write we are used
to write words normally, with accents, ñ and the like, without having
to switch our mind for writing filenames.

>there is nothing that forbids filenames to have any characters so
>there is no robust way to identify in what encoding (codepage) the
>filename is

I posted this message because I thought it was very easy to know the
encoding. I haven't look into luatex main() function, but I *supposed*
the entry point to be system dependent, and in Windows, if the
function wmain is used the strings from argv are wchar_t*, 16-bit
Unicode, so it seemed easy to me.

In any case, since currently I don't have time to implement this
myself, if its fixing causes troubles, forget about it, it isn't that
important.

Javier M.