[Dev-luatex] Will XeTeX or LuaTeX support COLR table in OpenType fonts?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Aug 30 16:20:14 CEST 2013

On 8/30/2013 3:01 PM, William Adams wrote:
> Announced at the Microsoft //build conference:
>
>> A data structure, implemented as a new 'COLR' table in OpenType,
>> breaks down the base glyph into a separate set of glyphs, each
>> with its own z-order and single color reference. The color
>> references are handled has palette indices, with a separate table,
>> 'CPAL' in OpenType that resolves the RGBA colors actually used
>> for the glyph.
>
> Video here: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013/3-191
>
> Original announcement on Typophile: http://typophile.com/node/104174

i can only speak for luatex but it looks like layering so it's doable
(in fact, we have been doing that with the cow font already so taco
could probably make a test font quite fast)

anyhow, as i see no public free font for testing we'll just wait and see
what happens .. it doesn't sound that new and demanding (and in luatex
it would end up as feature in the font handler and not in the core engine)