[Dev-luatex] Missing newline with \errhelp

Bruno Le Floch blflatex at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 17:22:16 CEST 2012

Hello,

When an \errmessage is issued with \errhelp set to be non-empty,
LuaTeX shows the message "Type <return> to proceed [etc]" immediately
after the \errhelp.  Other engines suppress this message in the
presence of \errhelp.  I don't know if the difference is voluntary.
In any case, it would seem better to add a newline between the
\errhelp text and the built-in "Type..." text.

On a Unix machine with TeXlive installed,

    echo "H" | luatex '\errhelp{ABC}\errmessage{BOOM}'

prints the following to the terminal (a similar result is obtained if
the TeX code is put in a file)

    This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.70.2-2012062812 (TeX Live 2012)
     restricted \write18 enabled.
    ! foo.
    <*> \errhelp{ABC}\errmessage{foo}

    ? ABCType <return> to proceed, S to scroll future error messages,
    R to run without stopping, Q to run quietly,
    I to insert something,
    1 or ... or 9 to ignore the next 1 to 9 tokens of input,
    H for help, X to quit.
    ?
    ! Emergency stop.
    <*> \errhelp{ABC}\errmessage{foo}

    !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
    Transcript written on texput.log.

I would like to know whether this lack of newline is a bug or not, to
know if I should add LuaTeX-specific code to the l3msg LaTeX3 package.

Regards,
Bruno