[Dev-luatex] luatex and umask

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Sep 3 01:24:40 CEST 2012

Hi Taco and all,

A Mac user noticed that a texdoc directory was being created with
group-write permission, even though their umask did not specify that (it
was 022).

$ umask 022
$ dir=~/.texlive2012/texmf-var/texdoc
$ rm -rf $dir
$ texdoc -l whatever
..
$ ls -ld $dir
drwxrwxr-x 2 karl root 4096 Sep  2 16:22 /u/karl/.texlive2012/texmf-var/texdoc/
     ^ should be -

Evidently the luafilesystem module was setting the umask to 002, and
this was changed in 2009; see below.  I'm not sure if these links are
the actual upstream lua or some fork, though.  Anyway, the question is,
does the lua in luatex need to be updated?

(If you want more context about all this, no problem, but I didn't think
any of the rest mattered for luatex purposes.)

Thanks,
Karl

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:08:36 -0700
From: "Maxwell, Adam R"

karl> In a subsequent message, there was a statement that group-writable was
karl> the default in a lua library.  I did not verify, but if true, that's
karl> outside our control and not our place to override -- to get action,
karl> report the bug to the appropriate developers.

Just for completeness, this was fixed a few years ago in luafilesystem,
as also noted in the debian.org bug report:

https://github.com/keplerproject/luafilesystem/commit/fd028d32578fa0b7d5dfc89345f851b02a5af196

http://www.mail-archive.com/kepler-project@lists.luaforge.net/msg00340.html

https://github.com/keplerproject/luafilesystem/blob/master/src/lfs.c

--adam