[Dev-luatex] Libhyphen

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Sep 16 10:02:09 CEST 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 08:07:58AM +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 09/15/2011 10:56 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I just came across this library:
> >http://sourceforge.net/projects/hunspell/files/Hyphen/
> >
> >Which seems to be the last iteration of libhj, and is currently used by
> >OpenOffice/LibreOffice. It seems to have some interesting feature over
> >the original hyphenation algorithm, namely support for "non-standard
> >hyphenation; `discretionary' character changes at hyphenation points"
> >and "compound word hyphenation and special rules of compound word
> >hyphenation of German languages and other languages with arbitrary
> >number of compound words."
>
> Hyphenation is luatex is in fact an adaptation of a (slightly earlier)
> version of libhnj. At that time, it did not do compound word stuff yet,
> so I have to check that out. It did then already have non-standard
> hyphenation.

I know that luatex is using libhnj, that is why I though this new
development might be of interest.

> However, that was implemented as such an hack that I decided to
> leave it out in the new luatex code, and instead opted for non-standard
> hyphenation in the exceptions instead of in the patterns proper. (what
> libhnj did at that time was disguising dictionary exceptions as
> patterns, so the non-standard hyphenation 'pattern rules' were in fact
> complete words with a single non-standard hyphenation in it somewhere.)

They have tis TUGboat paper on non-standard hyphenation, I'm not sure if
it is the old libhnj thing, it is all gibberish to me :)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hunspell/files/Hyphen/documentation/tb87nemeth.pdf

Regards,
 Khaled

--