[Dev-luatex] Libhyphen

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Sep 16 08:07:58 CEST 2011

On 09/15/2011 10:56 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just came across this library:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hunspell/files/Hyphen/
>
> Which seems to be the last iteration of libhj, and is currently used by
> OpenOffice/LibreOffice. It seems to have some interesting feature over
> the original hyphenation algorithm, namely support for "non-standard
> hyphenation; `discretionary' character changes at hyphenation points"
> and "compound word hyphenation and special rules of compound word
> hyphenation of German languages and other languages with arbitrary
> number of compound words."

Hyphenation is luatex is in fact an adaptation of a (slightly earlier)
version of libhnj. At that time, it did not do compound word stuff yet,
so I have to check that out. It did then already have non-standard
hyphenation.

However, that was implemented as such an hack that I decided to
leave it out in the new luatex code, and instead opted for non-standard
hyphenation in the exceptions instead of in the patterns proper. (what
libhnj did at that time was disguising dictionary exceptions as
patterns, so the non-standard hyphenation 'pattern rules' were in fact
complete words with a single non-standard hyphenation in it somewhere.)

Considering the quality of the non-standard hyphenation support, I do
not have high expectations for the compound word extension, to be
honest.