[Dev-luatex] letterspacing and (no) ligatures

Robert w.m.l at gmx.net
Wed Sep 7 05:03:29 CEST 2011

On 06.09.11 10:31, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 6-9-2011 04:22, Robert wrote:
>> Now, this would basically mean that \letterspacefont can only be used
>> for type1, but not for opentype fonts. Is this really intended?
>
> I'm pretty sure it has been answered before (but not sure on what lists).

Ah yes, I see this has been raised on the context list.

> I cannot test it here but you should use mode=base which will create a
> static font that is handled by tex itself as the tex machinery will copy
> the font data when you do that kind of letterspacing. The engine is
> ignorant of anything related to the font at the lua end so one might
> loose some very specific features provided outside the engine but that's
> no big deal as letterspacing spoils the game anyway. Smallcaps and
> oldstyles normally are no problem.

Thanks, that works. Would you mind elaborating on the difference between
base and node mode a bit, or could you point me to the relevant
documentation? I'm unable to find anything more specific than that base
mode does not support Opentype "fully" (luaotfload). But what exactly is
not supported, what would you lose by switching from node to base mode?

Best,
--
  Robert