[Dev-luatex] We no long use Tangle, but the code still contains lot of identifiers with underscores stripped

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Oct 14 08:40:55 CEST 2011

On 10/14/2011 08:33 AM, minux wrote:
> Hi!
>
> LuaTeX stopped using tangle long time ago, but identifiers like
> kpseinitprog, kpsesetprogramenabled, are still in the code.
> They make the program a little unreadable, so I'm current working on
> it. I would like to hear any suggestions from you: is
> it necessary?

Some of the external identifiers (in kpathsea/ and web2c/ 's C code) are
without underscores to be compatible with the other tex-style programs
that still do use tangle. The calls to these functions are typically
added in a pascal change file, where tangle strips the underscores, so
the actual functions needs to have names without underscores also. When
luatex needs such a function, it cannot use underscores either, obviously.

There could be a bunch of

   #define kpse_init_prog kpseinitprog

in a header file, but that is just cosmetics so I am not in a hurry to
do that.