[Dev-luatex] Hyphenation/lccode

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Thu Jun 23 11:35:14 CEST 2011

Before I ask my second question, I ask a third:

I load German hyphenation patterns and want to hyphenate a word. Before that I use

for i in string.utfvalues("äÄöÖüÜß") do
  tex.lccode[i] = i
end

and then I hyphenate for example "Krönung", which gets (if I understand TeX) translated to lowercase characters (with lccode) and then gets hyphenated. Works fine.

Now I want to hyphenate the word "KRÖNUNG" (the same word, only all upper case letters), and I wonder why that works. The lowercase equivalent would be "krÖnung" (according to the lccode setting above), and I wonder why this gets hyphenated. Just luck? Good weather?

Patrick