[Dev-luatex] letterspacing and (no) ligatures

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Feb 10 20:03:33 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 02:02:25PM +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> On 02/10/11 13:59, William Adams wrote:
> >
> > ck and ij would be (like ae and oe) diphthongs --- linguistic constructs denoting specific sounds.
> >
> > ff is a ligature --- the joining together of two or more characters for stylistic or technical reasons.
>
> But there is no distinction between those two in OpenType ...

There can be, you can use rlig (required ligatures) for the former and
liga (regular ligatures for the later) and letterspaced fonts would only
disable liga (I know few Frakture fonts that do it that way). But this
is likely to be a question to Hans not Taco since we are dealing with
non-tfm fonts here.

Regards,
 Khaled

--