[Dev-luatex] Typo in functuonref.tex

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 17:33:11 CEST 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam at umich.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2010, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>
>> On 12 September 2010 Khaled Hosny wrote:
>>
>> > It says \latexlua, though being half a sleep, I'm pretty sure there
>> > is no latex in luatex, a Freudian slip? :P
>>
>> Sure, Taco is secretly working on latexlib.  This allows you to run
>> LaTeX directly in Context:
>>
>> \startLaTeX
>> \textbf{hello}
>> \stopLaTeX
>
> Oh, you underestimate the power of the dark side. Running latex inside
> context is already possible using the external filter module[1].
as I said to Reinhard to a private email
it's also something that I'm thinking from a while.
The Aditya idea (that I *must* know :-) )
is to call an external process, hence
1) doesn't share state (ie fonts) and this can be a limit
2) it's slow, but on multicore system this cannot be  a problem
3) it has a safe separation of task , and this always matter
An alternative is to use a luatex with more states and then 1) maybe
can be resolved
(with a good support from mkiv)
but then 2) (locks on commons data structures) and 3) (threading) may fail.

--
luigi