[Dev-luatex] luafontloader virtual access (bug #404, #448)

Paweł Jackowski P.Jackowski at gust.org.pl
Tue Sep 7 20:12:21 CEST 2010

[...]
> The reason for this message is this: what are items that need to be
> virtualized, and which ones can easily be left alone?
>
> For example
>
>   <glyph>.boundingbox
>
> returns an array of 4 integer numbers. It seems to me that it makes
> not that much sense to write a dedicated userdata object for such
> boundingboxes: the method call overhead will probably outweigh the
> gain from using less memory.
>
> On the other hand,
>
>    <glyph>.kerns
>
> can be enormous (as it is in the punknova.kern case) and should probably
> be converted.
>
> Does anybody want to think about a shortlist of such items?

Wow! Thank you for preserving objects access interface; it seems I don't
need to change anything.

Among glyph.kerns I'd vote to virtualize glyph.lookups, as this is the
_most_ scary part, especially in non-latin fonts. Possibly also
glyph.anchors

Regarding mappings, I think that every of the following

	loaded_font.map.map
	loaded_font.map.backmap
	loaded_font.map.enc

could be available on demand.