[Dev-luatex] Cron <luatex at boekplan> /var/www/luatex.org/www/bin/luatex-svn

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Sep 5 16:35:16 CEST 2010

On 09/05/2010 02:55 PM, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>> Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>>> [changes from svn/cron]
>>> Does that mean that if I write
>>> \hyphenation{man-u-script}
>>> "Manuscript" will not be covered?
>>
>> Yes, exactly. It seemed a reasonable thing to do,
>> considering that it is considerably easier to add another
>> exception than it is to prevent an unwanted hyphenation if it
>> is defined by an exception.
>
> While I don't have an opinion at all on whether this is good or not, won't this
>
> a) break TeX compatibility and

Yeah, sure it does. But LuaTeX's language handling is already
incompatible in other ways, so that is not a big deal.

> b) will make existing documents (hyphenation exceptions) "fail" ?

Yes, for example:

    bla bla bla. Declination is ....

will not use the standard hyphen.tex exception for "Declination".

Personally, I think this is acceptable. But if there are objections,
I can go back to being case-incensitive, it is not that important.