[Dev-luatex] [luatex] Luatex 0.52.0 announcement

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Mar 22 12:01:10 CET 2010

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010, Diego Depaoli wrote:

> Yes, error comes from this code
> if test -z "`${MAKE-make} -v 2>/dev/null | grep GNU`"; then
>  if test "x$enable_native_texlive_build" = xno; then
>    { $as_echo "$as_me:${as_lineno-$LINENO}: WARNING: Building TeX
> Live may require GNU make" >&5
> $as_echo "$as_me: WARNING: Building TeX Live may require GNU make" >&2;}
>  else
>    as_fn_error "Building TeX Live requires GNU make" "$LINENO" 5
>  fi
> fi
> in  luatex source/configure (http://goo.gl/Ddu8).

Hi Diego, Taco,

some parts of the TeX Live tree (libs/freetype2/ and libs/icu/ if I remember
correctly) require GNU make.  Thus the TL top-level configure checks for
this and produces a warning (--disable-native-texlive-build) or an error
(--enable-native-texlive-build, the default).  We think this is much better
than failing at a later stage of the build process.

If you have GNU make installed somewhere you should say
 	configure MAKE=/PATH/TO/GUN-MAKE ...
or whith the TL ./Build script
 	TL_MAKE=/PATH/TO/GUN-MAKE ./Build ...
I suppose, the luatex ./build script is a variation of ./Build, so this
should also work with ./build.

If you don't have GNU make you might try
 	configure --disable-native-texlive-build ...
but then the build may fail at a later stage.

This ought to be mentioned in TL's top-level README.config -- yet to be done.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>