[Dev-luatex] cygwin static detection

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 17 14:16:57 CET 2010

On 17 March 2010 12:18, Élie Roux <elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu> wrote:
> 2010/3/17 T T <t34www at googlemail.com>:
>>
>> But if non-cygwin binaries are used, why would you want to detect
>> cygwin at all?
>
> Because that's what I'm using, and thus I guess I'm not the only one ;-)
>
>> The best you can do is to detect if cygwin is installed
>> on the system, but that doesn't mean that you want to run under
>> cygwin. Wasn't cygwin added as a separate ARCH in TL to clear this
>> confusion?
>
> I don't know, but I'm using LuaTeX binaries cross-compiles by Taco at
> each releases (again, I'm definitley not the only one), and I need to
> change cygwin paths returned by fc-list (the fc-list of cygwin)...
> Soon I'll start to compile my own binaries under cygwin, but I don't
> think we can expect everyone to do so.

Ah, OK. Well, if you want the binaries to understand cygwin
intricacies then you have to compile them under cygwin I reckon.

> Is the cygwin ARCH of TL compiled under cygwin?

This is my understanding. Ken Brown is maintaining this port, perhaps
you should ask him or on tlbuild for more information/help. I don't
use cygwin myself and know very little about it (if I'll ever need
unix under windows I'll go for VBox or andLinux, cygwin is a strange
beast).

> If so, my patch will
> make things work better, as we'll know that unix/cygwin is cygwin
> (which we couldn't with unix/generic).

No worries. These changes will pulled to TL along with all the others
once we start building for the next release.

Cheers,

Tomek