[Dev-luatex] Luatex 0.51.0 announcement

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Mar 13 09:43:44 CET 2010

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just uploaded the archives for a new luatex release, 0.51.0.
>>
>> New features:
>>

> Actually, there is another feature but it is experimental enough that
> it is not documented in the manual yet.
>
>   local <node> nodelist, <sp> founddepth =
>        tex.linebreak(<node> listhead, <table> parameters)
>
> The understood parameters are as follows (with example code):

A few notes: badness/demerits output?

And I think it would be beneficial to have incremental line breaking,
where you have as an input (and output) the list of current best
breakpoints.  That would make it possible to have text flow around
shapes without requiring everything to fit a fixed base line distance.

It also would make it possible to develop strategies for adjusting line
break decisions depending on pagebreaks (\brokenpenalty, \widowpenalty
and their ilk can't have the paragraph rebroken right now, making them
pretty useless with fixed bottom page layouts).

--
David Kastrup