[Dev-luatex] Fatal crash with LuaTeX if an encoding file is missing

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Apr 5 15:02:22 CEST 2010

Hi Graham,

Graham Douglas wrote:
> Hi Taco
>
> See attached screenshot. This is what triggered me to think it was
> more than just a fatal error? Maybe not then.

In the case of fatal errors (of the kind below, that remove the
pdf document as well) luatex will call 'exit()' with the return
code 'EX_SOFTWARE' if kpathsea debugging is off, or with 'abort()'
if kpathsea debugging is on. The first form is a pretty normal
exit, the second form is an explicit forced crash (done because
this can be useful when debugging).

Therefore you should only get a popup with kpathsea debugging turned
on (via the command line --kpathsea-debug= parameter, or via a global
KPATHSEA_DEBUG environment setting). Well, unless windows is not
behaving like unix (which is quite definitely possible, I don't know
*that* much about windows).