[Dev-luatex] Cron <luatex at vz3> /var/www/luatex.org/www/bin/luatex-svn

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Nov 25 08:11:53 CET 2009

Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:35:28AM +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> See the last comment on http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=286
>
> From the ticket:
> "The result is now still too wide, but that is truly cambria's fault: the
> integrals have large italic corrections while in fact they fit in their
> bounding boxes."
>
> This isn't Cambria's fault per se, as any font that is to be used with
> MS Office as well is going Cambria's route (so does Asana Math and my
> two math fonts.)

> So, IMHO this should be the default behaviour for new math fonts, and
> old TeX fonts pretending to be new math fonts should compensate for
> this, not the other way around.

I am not quite convinced yet. The MATH spec seems to disagree with both
the font metrics and the actual behavior of Word. What would happen
is Word 2010 (say) fixes that?

AFAICS, the only reason for Asana being like Cambria is that it
copies the font literally instead of the looking at the spec.

One thing I could possibly do is to auto-correct in the engine
if there is a big difference between width+italic correction and
actual glyph bounding box.