[Dev-luatex] opening up lua interpreter

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 24 11:52:18 CET 2009

2009/11/24 Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com>:

> If we decide to keep the binary modules support (which is experimental
> right now) then in the future, it would be nice to build our 'own' lua

That would be very welcome, indeed. It could make lua(tex) not only a
common scripting solution, but also a common platform for building
kpathsea/TeX aware applications. There are already a few interesting
lua based applications, e.g. ps_view, ipe v7 (LaTeX friendly vector
graphic editor). I expect projects like these could be quite
interested in more open access to luatex and some very innovative
solutions could emerge in the process.

> dll. But that will require quite some changes to the build scripts
> as well as a conceptual change to the distribution process. Not easy
> to integrate that back into texlive.

I admit that I'm blissfully unaware of these hurdles, so I will
welcome any advancements that can make luatex more accessible to us
mere mortals ;) I see it as a major step in TeX development. Thanks
for all the hard work you put into it.

Cheers,

Tomek