[Dev-luatex] opening up lua interpreter

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 24 00:53:39 CET 2009

Hi,

I saw in another post that loading of binary modules has been enabled
in luatex (great!) that requires a stock lua51.dll on Windows. I
wonder if this side-effect that will last or pass?

I'm in the process of rewriting the generic script wrapper for TL on
Windows to replace the current batch script(s). I didn't want to code
everything in C, so I use only a thin binary stub that links with
luatex.dll, sets up the argument list and calls dllluatexmain with
'texlua' and a predefined script as argv[0] and argv[1]. This is nice
as I can implement most of the logic on the lua side but there is
currently no elegant way to return to the C side (luatex exits rather
than return) nor I can easily pass some data back.

This is not a big problem for me ATM (after finding a workaround for
os.spawn I don't need to return to the C side) but it could be useful
in general to have more open access to (tex)lua interpreter from C. Is
anything along these lines on the agenda?

Cheers,

Tomek