[Dev-luatex] [luatex 0000283]: PDF streams data should not be validated in UTF-8 regime

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Nov 20 15:51:37 CET 2009

Paweł Jackowski wrote:

> So once you say
>
>   pdf.obj{type = "stream", string = string.char(255)}
>   pdf.obj("stream", string.char(255))
>
> you don't use an explicit string, but you still get the error.
> As shown in note 0000309, moving the stuff to external file is not the
> complete solution either.

can't you use the

Output in byte-sized chunks can be achieved by using characters just
outside of the valid Unicode range,
starting at the value 1;114;112 (0x110000). When the times comes to
print a character c> = 1;114;112,
LuaTEX will actually print the single byte corresponding to c minus
1,114,112.

trick?

> Since binary streams are not likely to be valid UTF-8, using \pdfobj or
> pdf.obj() with "stream" keyword doesn't seem usable at all.
>
> But since we're not limited to strings, perhaps pdf stream data could be
> provided as:
>
> -- lua function returning the stream once called?
> pdf.obj{type = "stream", data = function() return string.char(255) end}
>
> -- array of integers representing bytes to be written?
> pdf.obj{type = "stream", data = {255}}

brrr

> Am I missing some workaround? How do you guys handle it in context?

what exactly do you want to write to the pdf?