[Dev-luatex] XML abilities in LuaTeX

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Nov 19 09:05:24 CET 2009


Hi,

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> 
> After some pondering (overnight) I now think
> that perhaps this is not an actual problem at all, but I have to do
> some thinking about it which is why the external dll support is
> not official yet.

Based on this assumption, I have committed an experimental patch that
enables dynamic loading for external compiled libraries unless --safer
is given on the command-line.

It is experimental because:

* it assumes that all architectures except windows will be happy with
  using dlopen (windows has its own code which does not need compile-
  time support, but you have to have an installed lua51.dll from e.g.
  http://luabinaries.luaforge.net ).

* I made only minimal changes to kpathsea.

* there may be lua libraries out there that fail horribly.

As with pure lua require() files, luatex will only use kpathsea if the
library is initialized already.


kpathsea changes in detail:

I added the kpse_clua_format identifier that searches for files with
extension .dll and .so. The texmf.cnf setting for this variable is
CLUAINPUTS, and by default it has this value:

CLUAINPUTS=.:$SELFAUTOLOC/lib/{$progname,$engine,}/lua//

This is the best I could do on short notice: the architecture has to
be in the path somewhere, and the fastest way to do that is to search
below the binary directory only.

One level up (lib parallel to bin) would have been nicer, but the
context minimals have arch and bin swapped (texmf-linux/bin instead of
bin/i386-linux) and at this early stage it would be a shame to disable
the largest group of testers by default.

If you know how to compile luatex from scratch, please have a go and
see whether all this works for you!

Best wishes,
Taco




More information about the dev-luatex mailing list