[Dev-luatex] Problem with CFF fonts having em-size other than 1000

Jin-Hwan Cho jinhwan.cho at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 09:06:46 CET 2009


Hi, Khaled Hosny,

dvipdfmx-20080607 is the one included in TeXLive 2008. It's quite  
recent version
to test this problem. I think that your executable "dvipdfmx" is not  
in the proper place
in which the kpathsea library can work.

Anyway I realized the reason why Adobe Reader 8, 9 and Leopard's  
Preview does not
work with OTF fonts of emSize other than 1000.

What I tested is as follows:

1. XeTeX may read upm2048cff.otf directly and xdvipdfmx write in the  
CIDFontType0C
format. In this case, I could see the around two times bigger font.

2. I used TeX in the last sample, and generated PDF with dvipdfmx. In  
this case the font
is written in the Type1C format. In this case, I could see the right  
sized font.

The difference is just the format. CIDFontType0C and Type1C is almost  
same because
all of them uses the CFF format. But CIDFontType0C is considered as a  
CID-keyed font.
Simply, it has a few more information than the Type1C format. However,  
we can assume
that they are same.

So I tried to change FontMatrix information of the CIDFontType0C font  
in the PDF result
(generated by xdvipdfmx). The interesting result was:

Adobe Reader 9 and Leopard's Preview ignores the FontMatrix information,
but Adobe Reader 7 does not ignore the FontMatrix information.

Now I tried to change FontMatrix information of the Type1C font in the  
PDF result
(generated by dvipdfmx). The result was:

Adobe Reader 9 shows an error message,
but Adobe Reader 7 and Leopard's Preview does not ignore the  
FontMatrix information.

I do not know why FontMatrix information was ignored only in the  
CIDFontType0C format.
And, Adobe Reader 9 does not look good.

Best regards, ChoF.

On Mar 28, 2009, at 6:03 AM, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 07:14:01PM +0900, Jin-Hwan Cho wrote:
>> Could you show me any DVI (or XDV) file which cause your problem?
>
> I couldn't run your test, I' getting:
>
> ** WARNING ** Could not open config file "dvipdfmx.cfg".
> mytest.dvi -> mytest.pdf
>
> ** WARNING ** Failed to load AGL file "pdfglyphlist.txt"...
> ** WARNING ** Failed to load AGL file "glyphlist.txt"...
> [1
> ** WARNING ** Could not locate a virtual/physical font for TFM  
> "cmr10".
> ** WARNING ** >> There are no valid font mapping entry for this font.
> ** WARNING ** >> Font file name "cmr10" was assumed but failed to  
> locate
> that font.
> ** ERROR ** Cannot proceed without .vf or "physical" font for PDF
> output...
>
> I think I'm using an old dvipdfmx version (dvipdfmx-20080607), I could
> not figure how to build the latest release either.
>
> However, the attached XDV file gives the result as luatex with
> xdvipdfmx.
>
> Regards,
> Khaled
>
>
> -- 
> Khaled Hosny
> Arabic localiser and member of Arabeyes.org team
> Free font developer
> <test.tex><test.xdv>



More information about the dev-luatex mailing list