[Dev-luatex] Problem with CFF fonts having em-size other than 1000

Jin-Hwan Cho jinhwan.cho at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 11:14:01 CET 2009

On Mar 27, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> OpenType Postscript fonts having em-size other than 1000 don't show
> correctly with adobe reader (I tested version 8), see the attached
> test
> suit. Other viewers as Xpdf and libpoppler or muPDF based one show
> them
> correctly, but ghostscript don't show any text at all.
>
> This also happens with XeTeX (xdvipdfmx) and is suggested to be
> related
> to the way CFF fonts are embeded[1][2].

I checked your test.pdf in Adobe Reader 9, and realized what the
problem is.
But the PDF file was generated by LuaTeX. So I tested the attached
font with
tex as follows:

1. mytest.tex:

\special{pdf:mapline upm2048cff upm2048cff <upm2048cff.otf <ascii.enc}
\font\test=upm2048cff

\test\input tufte\par
\bye

2. upm2048cff.tfm: Just copied ptmr7t.tfm
3. ascii.enc: Copied 7t.enc and changed entries from 0x00 to 0x1f
to /.notdef.
4. mytest.dvi: Just run 'tex mytest'
5. mytest.pdf: Just run 'dvipdfmx mytest'.

The font handling code of dvipdfmx is the same as xdvipdfmx. But the
pdf result
"mytest.pdf" can be seen in Adobe Reader 9, even though the character
spacing
is weird.

Could you show me any DVI (or XDV) file which cause your problem?

Best regards, ChoF.