[Dev-luatex] node.vpack and "exactly" related patch

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Mar 11 16:43:17 CET 2009

Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi, Taco:
>
> In TeX's Packaging algorithm, TeX wraps lists into boxes. Knuth create
> two functions, hpack (p,w,m) and vpack (p,w,m)=
> vpackage(p,w,m,max_dimen) to solve this problem.
> In the LuaTeX manual, (4.1.3.13), only node.hpack is given. maybe we
> should also write something called node.vpack?
>
> I wrote one for LuaTeX since I need it in my document project. I think
> it will be useful to others too. The code is easy to write by
> following yours and here is the patch:

fyi: vpack is on the agenda for later (probably after the complete
rewrite to cweb)

quite certainly vpack will demand a rewrite of core code as it has to
deal with quite some related things as well

it's no problem of course to use your variant locally for a while, but
be prepared for a different interface