[Dev-luatex] encoding code issue

Yue Wang yuleopen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 15:38:45 CEST 2009


hi Taco:


- when I change something in fontforge/Unicode/*, and run build.sh
--make, it will recompile many luatex stuffs. That is not necessary.
please fix that if you can.

- cjk.c can be removed completely. Chinese TTF/OTF Fonts are arranged
in unicode order (maybe with other encoding charmap provided). So no
need to do font re-encoding.  (I think Japanese fonts and Korean fonts
do too)

- source/texk/web2c/luatexdir/luafontloader/fontforge/Unicode/backtrns.c
is not needed, please remove that.

- maybe it is not necessary to extend ctype to utype: in ConTeXt we
have char-def.lua which gives very detailed information. After
browsing the source code I think there is almost no dependency on
unicode range for isxxxx and tolower/toupper.  Most are for conversion
of file names on local filesystem and so on. after removing
utype.[ch], only two APIs ishexdigit and iscombinedchar are missing.
but this two is very easy to implement. e.g. hexdigit = 0-9, a-f.

- unialt.c is only needed for autohint.c. since hinting have nothing
to do with typesetting, perhaps these two files can be gone too...

After removing these files I ended up building a 3.9M luatex  on Mac OS X.
Maybe Linux binary can be even smaller.

of course, the above thoughts have not been throughly tested.


Yue Wang


More information about the dev-luatex mailing list