[Dev-luatex] synctex and text direction

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Jun 11 17:34:47 CEST 2009

Hi Jérome,

Jérome Laurens wrote:
> For the moment, I focus on hlists and I have a few questions.
>
> 1) I found that \pardir ignores the first letter argument, is it
> expected behaviour ?

It ignores the third letter, not the first.

> 2) What is the difference between \texdir LTB and \textdir RTB ?

All direction specifiers are set up in the same way:

* The first key is the "paragraph progression front edge". A paragraph
  consists of lines that are stacked starting from this edge.

* The second key is the "line progression front edge". Lines consist
  of glyphs that are placed starting from this edge.

* The third is the "glyph orientation". This specifier is only used
  for special fonts (that I have never seen an actual example of, it
  is an Omega-specific font extension, afaik).

So TLT == paragraphs progress downward (while creating lines), lines
progress rightward (while adding glyphs), and the glyphs stand upright.

Possible values are T (top) L (left) R (right) B (bottom), and the
first and second have to be perpendicular, resulting in eight possible
main directions (TL* TR* BL* BR* LT* LB* RT* RB*).

> 3) for a box created with \texdir LTB , the height and the depth are
> equal. Is it always true ?

> 4) I saw that text direction has something to do with rulers, but what
> about the other nodes ?

I cannot answer these two questions quickly (by now, Hartmut probably
understands the direction output better than I do).

> On another respect, I see that none of luatex nor context command
> supports the -synctex option.
> Is there a special reason or is it just a bug ?

luatex --synctex=NUMBER certainly should work (and it does here). The
"context" command does not accept --synctex at the moment.