[Dev-luatex] Luatex 0.42.0 (a snapshot release)
taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Jul 17 12:31:56 CEST 2009
I have just uploaded the archives for a new luatex release, 0.42.0.
NOTE: This snapshot is just for testing the new sources and the
updated build process, do NOT trust this binary for production work!
There is a whole lot of work done on the luatex internals since the
previous beta, and just judging by the amount of work done it seems
likely that there will be a few serious bugs remaining. There are two
big internal changes. Both changes are invisible to the user, but
definately worth mentioning:
* There is no pascal (web) code in luatex at all anymore, everything
is now converted into plain C and split over about 50 source files.
Later, this code will be converted back to CWEB (almost all comments
have been kept) but first we want to spend a few months reorganizing
the code base.
* The PDF backend has been reorganized a lot, and most of the global
variables are not put into a single backend structure. Work in this
area is not complete, but getting there.
The other newsworthy changes are:
* There is a new node.tail() function
* lua-loaded fonts now support a 'nomath' key to speed up
loading the lua table.
* A bugfix in the ttf reader for the inclusion backend, and
(also in the backend) support for treating ttc files by
pretending they are single ttf fonts (both patches from pdftex)
* Add Khaled Hosny's man page to the repository
* The \pdfcompresslevel is now effectively fixed as soon as
output to the pdf file has occurred.
* Patched status.filename so that it (nearly) always returns a
* fix '\the\delcode' and disable '\the\odelcode', '\the\Udelcode',
* Handle jfifs where either xres or yres is 0 and the other
res is != 0 (from pdftex)
* The single-argument version of lang.hyphenate() was broken.
* Get rid of the \directlua/\latelua number warning.
* The Lua coroutine patch (coco) is now disabled on linux
powerpc architectures (because it caused crashes)
* Removed obsolete pdftex primitives:
* The loading speed of large fonts (especially ttf) via the
fontloader library, and the inclusion speed for subsetting
in the backend have both been improved.
* The 'pdf' lua library has been enhanced with various new
functions, see the manual for details.
* BLT and BRT glyph position fixed.
* Various fixes for synctex offsets.
* Support for exotic font string encodings has been removed
from the fontloader library.
* The embedded MPlib is now 1.205.
* libpng is now 1.2.38.
The archives can be downloaded from supelec as usual:
You could also check out the sources via anonymous svn:
svn co http://foundry.supelec.fr/svn/luatex/tags/0.42.0
Bugs and feature requests can be added to the issue tracker at
More information about the dev-luatex