[Dev-luatex] \pdfannot in TRT direction

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Jul 6 19:19:26 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 10:06:02PM +0200, Hartmut Henkel wrote:
> Hi Khaled,
>
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
> > PDF annotations are not placed correctly in TRT directions (and I
> > guess other directions as well), I tried to track this issue and
> > apparently directions are not taken into account when doing do_annot()
> > in pdflistout.c.
>
> checked your test file. i guess it's looking wrong since you did not set
> width, height, or depth of the \pdfannot. Then by default it takes as
> annotation rectangle dimensions and position the width from the current
> point to the end of the surrounding box (as pdftex does). And in TRT
> mode the end of the box is left from the current point, as the
> surrounding \hbox goes across the full \hsize. The viewer then places
> the annotation text flush left into this rectangle, so it ends up rather
> left on the paper. I guess one does not have good control over this
> other than stating width, height, and depth as arguments to \pdfannot.
> Seems to be also rather implementation dependent.
>
> Just set width to some value (e. g. 20mm, see also samplepdf.tex from
> pdftex) and you will hopefully see that the annotation will be about
> where you want it. And have a look at the /Rect [] array in the PDF
> file.

OK, got that and I think it is fine that way. However, if I don't set
page and body dir, annotations in vertical mode will be positioned at
the left side of the page:

\pardir TRT\textdir TRT
\pdfannot {/Subtype/Text/Contents(My comment)}

\leavevmode\pdfannot {/Subtype/Text/Contents(My comment)}
\bye

Is that related to hbox in vmode issue?
(I think that was the source of my problem, but I didn't realize that
then).

Regards,
 Khaled

--