[Dev-luatex] A few newbie questions

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sat Jan 31 10:53:09 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:17:27AM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 01:02:26PM +0800, Yue Wang wrote:
>>> for LuaTeX. In ConTeXt world this is quite different, since Hans Hagen
>>> is a Lua+TeX+fontforge+MetaPost+whatever expert. So unless there exist
>>> several Hans Hagens in the LaTeX world, ordinary LaTeX users will not
>>> benefit from LuaTeX development.
>>
>> That is why I believe that we should have some means to share must of
>> the lower level Lua code across macro packages. For instance writing 2
>> or 3 OpenType layout modules is a waste of time, is it a big task of its
>
> it depends ... in that respect writing two or more macro packages is
> also a waste of time (or even different variants of tables within a
> macro package etc)

Somehow it is ;), people usually have different needs and thus different
macro packages, but I wonder why someone would need very different low level
OpenType implementation, but I may be wrong.

>> own especially if you want to cover all scripts, there exists 3 free
>> OpenType implementations and only one gets it almost right.
>
> as i've said before, at some point i will provide a kind of generic
> variant of the context open type support, but currently my priority lays
> with getting the oriental projects related font support done (which is
> an interplay between font design and handling features) [so, any generic
> context code would be provided as-is and development driven via the
> context related lists]; with the luatex project we're not that much in a
> hurry anyway: we reimplement parts of tex, honouring the basic design of
>   tex, adding a few things only, and opening things up step by step;
> after all, we have working pdftex's and xetex's so there is not that
> much need to hurry, cook up half solutions, end up in incompatible patch
> mode etc

But luatex has such great features that I want to use with other macro
packages, I want to typeset some Arabic technical documents with Texinfo
for example. May point is that, it would be great if we can have a kind
of reference implementations of some of the very need functionality like
OpenType, Unicode BiDi algorithm, Indic reordering and such, in a macro
independent way that one can plug anywhere and write some higher level
macro support on top of it. If a macro package don't feel like using it,
they can write their own of course. I can argue this though, I'm not the
one who writes the code here.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team