[Dev-luatex] A few newbie questions

Yue Wang yuleopen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 15:18:11 CET 2009

Hi,

> There is no real OT support in FreeType2. If you want kerning you'd
> better have a kern table. :)

I think OT features are easy to implement? I use LCDF-TypeTool (which
is a very small program, and does not depend on any font library) and
it is easy to convert OpenType fonts with arbitrary features I want to
TFM and Type1 fonts.

btw, There is a small tool called otfdump (which uses a very small and
cpu/memory efficient library, libotf), and it can dump ttf and otf
files (just as how fontforge is used in LuaTeX). dumping TeXGyre Heros
Regular only takes 0.058 second, and Adobe Song Std Light uses 0.140
second.
If we use this library, I think there is no need to implement a font
cache system in ConTeXt---since it is very memory efficient and fast.

If I am wrong, please point out, I am a font newbie and want to learn more

Yue Wang