[Dev-luatex] A few newbie questions

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Jan 28 09:52:50 CET 2009

Yue Wang wrote:

> - From the part of the code I read, if I understand correctly, the
> only reason of incorporating fontforge is to get the font Metrics
> data?
> If so, I think FreeType2 is sufficient to accomplish the task? [I
> think freetype2 is much smaller and efficient, and fontforge use
> freetype2]

at some time in the future we also want access to the shapes etc because
we want to experiment with runtime glyph adaption and such

also, by taking the internal ff representation as starting point we have
the advantage that we can use ff's visual (debugging) capabilities for
analysing for instance font features

(eventually the amount of ff used will be a bit smaller because we don't
need the write related code)