[Dev-luatex] Q: Can LuaTeX produce xdv?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jan 6 02:24:54 CET 2009

Arthur Reutenauer writes:

 > Maybe it's time that we turn the question the other way round and ask
 > you for reasons to *do* so.

Hi Arthur,
as far as I remember, Jonathan explained clearly at the very beginning
of the discussion why he is interested in an intermediate format.

 > What, could you please tell us, is so great about *not* generating
 > the end result directly that we should force ourselves to produce
 > an intermediate file first, [...]

What do you mean with "end result"?  Unless I completely misunderstand
everything, Jonathan does *not* intend to create PDF at all.

I assume that what Jonathan has in mind is something like

   http://www.mathtran.org/toys/jfine/editor2.html

Yes, the PDF backend is extremely expensive in this case, for several
reasons.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25