[Dev-luatex] <texmf>/luatex is coming

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Jan 5 09:25:01 CET 2009

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>> I thought the lua scripts in the cont-tmf.zip distribution are residing in
>> <texmf>/scripts/context/lua/. Is this a change or are they different files?
>
>   Different files, see Taco's message from 17:31.
>
>> Will these locations be put on the searchpath too?
>> Or will the environment variables LUA_PATH and LUA_CPATH, mentioned in the
>> above, be included in the search?
>
>   I don't know how the developers will solve that, but it's obvious that
> it needs to be handled somehow (maybe through kpathsea?  Yet another
> variable name in texmf.cnf ...).

Kpathsea has no trouble finding lua files in the tex/ path, but I
remember talking to Karl about a specific variable a while back.
That would not be a big deal, there are so many of them already
that one extra hardly matters.

The issue about <texmf>/luatex/lua is that luatex should be able
to find these files even if kpathsea initialization is off or
delayed. That is why they have to become part of the 'compiled-in'
package.path.

If|Once kpathsea is active, luatex could simply use it for finding
the lua modules, but that may never happen and I want to have a
strong guarantee about the discoverability of the files in
<texmf>/luatex/lua.