[Dev-luatex] <texmf>/luatex is coming

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Jan 4 17:34:25 CET 2009

On So, 04 Jan 2009, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Nothing has been done yet, but I favour <texmf>/luatex, and Karl
> agreed with me :-)

Ok, that is a good indicator ;-)

> The files in question are not scripts. For example, take socket.lua.
> This is the lua part of the socket implementation, of which the C side
> is compiled into the executable (as socket.a).   socket.lua is not a
> standalone package, and it has to have the same version exactly as
> the embedded socket.a, both are distributed by luatex itself, and
> both come from upstream.

Ok, I see the difference now. Fine with me.

> And there is a precedent: bibtex, dvips, omega, all have similar
> top-level directories for runtime files that do not depend on macro
> packages.

Agreed.

Sorry for the noise.

Best wishes

Norbert

YONDER BOGINE (n.)
The kind of restaurant advertised as 'just three minutes from this
cinema' which clearly nobody ever goes to and, even if they had ever
contemplated it, have certainly changed their mind since seeing the
advert.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff