[Dev-luatex] <texmf>/luatex is coming

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Jan 4 17:31:08 CET 2009

Hi Norbert,

Norbert Preining wrote:

> Hmmm, what about
> 	<texmf>/scripts/lua/luatex/
> ? I consider that a better candidate then creating another toplevel
> hierarchy.

Nothing has been done yet, but I favour <texmf>/luatex, and Karl
agreed with me :-)

The files in question are not scripts. For example, take socket.lua.
This is the lua part of the socket implementation, of which the C side
is compiled into the executable (as socket.a).   socket.lua is not a
standalone package, and it has to have the same version exactly as
the embedded socket.a, both are distributed by luatex itself, and
both come from upstream.

And there is a precedent: bibtex, dvips, omega, all have similar
top-level directories for runtime files that do not depend on macro
packages.