[Dev-luatex] <texmf>/luatex is coming

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Jan 4 17:08:19 CET 2009

On So, 04 Jan 2009, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> lua files under <texmf>/luatex/lua/
>
> The intentions is that lua modules that are part of the luatex
> lua distribution will go there, nothing else. These are files
> that can be reached via the Lua require() function using the
> default compile-time package.path. Lua scripts have their place
> under <texmf>/scripts/lua already, and macro package specific
> lua files should remain below <texmf>/tex/, to be found via
> kpse.find_file().

Hmmm, what about
	<texmf>/scripts/lua/luatex/
? I consider that a better candidate then creating another toplevel
hierarchy.

Is there a particular need for that?  The above suggestion would serve
the same purpose, and anyone can anyway install into <texmf>/luatex/lua,
too, if one wants to. So I don't see any direct advantage.

> Second the question, and that is mostly for Martin: when luatex starts
> shipping more stuff than just a single executable, it begins to make
> sense to have an installation method. It could be nice to be able
>
>   $ ./configure; make; make install
>
> at toplevel, instead of
>
>   $ ./build.sh ; cp <bunch of whatever to wherever> ; ...

OHHHH PLEASE!!!!!! YES!!!!!

> To be able to that, the current build scripts have to be rewritten
> into a unified Makefile.in. The new, to-be-created configure script can
> be rather stupid and may not even have to be autoconf-generated.

If you do the step please make sure that dropping it into texlive trees
makes it easy already. Maybe that is already planned/done/whatever,
wanted only to remind it ;-)

Best wishes

Norbert

STURRY (n.,vb.)
A token run. Pedestrians who have chosen to cross a road immediately
in front of an approaching vehicle generally give a little wave and
break into a sturry. This gives the impression of hurrying without
having any practical effect on their speed whatsoever.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff