[Dev-luatex] Q: Can LuaTeX produce xdv?

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sat Jan 3 12:44:22 CET 2009

Le 2 janv. 09 à 21:49, Hans Hagen a écrit :

> i'm not sure if you refer to the same kind of positional info, but
> pdftex (and therefore luatex) hasn pdfsavepos cum suis in both pdf
> and dvi mode so you can store positions (lazy, i.e. write them to
> file in the backend) and then use them in a second pass (it't a
> rather old feature by now, which started as an experiment by Thanh
> and me and for some time was only available in pdf mode and in dvi
> mode we could use specials and the dvipos postprocessor; after a
> while it was also added to dvi mode)
>
> on the agenda is some more positional (runtime, in prerolls using
> boxes and getting pos into afterwards), a kind of pet project in
> parallel

Well, I'm doing mainly two things:

1) I put tags in the DVI file which allow me to place marginal
material at (exactly) the same height, during post-processing. In DVI
it is easy to place a PUSH, make a skip, typeset the material and then
POP back to the previous position so that the rest of the page remains
unchanged. I guess this will be harder in PDF.

2) I calculate the height of lines so that I can detect whether a page
is shorter or taller than the normal. This is very useful to prevent
accidents.

In a more elaborate project I split my DVI page into lines (lines of
text, of translation, of footnotes of translation and of one or more
critical apparati) and I re-assemble these lines into double pages, by
letting the critical apparati flow under the footnotes, ad by keeping
parallelism between text and translation. This works fine with DVI,
maybe everyline can become a BT...ET section in PDF and I can get the
same result.

--
+
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at telecom-
bretagne.eu |
| Directeur d'Études                      http://omega.enstb.org/
yannis |
|                                             Tel. +33
(0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                             Fax  +33
(0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département
Informatique                                              |
| TELECOM
Bretagne                                                      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3,
France     |
| Coordonnées Google-Earth : 48°21'31.57"N
4°34'16.76"W                 |
+
                             ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un
aquarium,
                                            mieux vaut n'être pas
poisson

                            ...the ball I threw while playing in the
park
                                           has not yet reached the
ground

               Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert
sprechen,
            nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen
mögen.