[Dev-luatex] Q: Can LuaTeX produce xdv?

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Fri Jan 2 23:30:13 CET 2009

2009/1/2 Jonathan Fine <jfine at pytex.org>:
> Please could I be told, what are the main benefits of directly producing
> PDF?

Reasoning about and manipulating included PDFs. This is much harder
with a two-pass engine like XeTeX + postprocessor; as an example
compare the knowledge of XeTeX (the program) and pdfTeX about included
PDFs.

> BTW, Jonathan Kew said recently (on c.t.t) that XeTeX can use two processors
> on a multicore machine precisely because typesetting and PDF generation are
> decoupled, via xdv.

I doubt the speed gained from that is high for most documents.

But as I said: Show us your code.

Best
   Martin