[Dev-luatex] Q: Can LuaTeX produce xdv?

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Fri Jan 2 21:21:54 CET 2009

Talking about DVI and PDF, I am the first one to be concerned about
the programmed extinction of DVI because I have many jobs based on DVI
post-processing (for example for marginal material, headers, and even
for parallel texts between two pages). The advantage with DVI is that
you can very easily now where you are located on the page so that you
can extract text with positional information, and you can also easily
insert new text (using pushes and pops).

But I'm confident that I will be able to rewrite all that for the PDF
format. Multivalent has released some very powerful Java classes which
convert PDF into a human-readable format and back to binary. Of course
BT...ET sections are more complex than DVI's SET operator but I think
it is possible to do simple post-processing.

And with the Mars format there is always hope that all that will be
written in XML...

So, although many of the tools I depend upon are based on DVI, I'm
rather for a PDF-only solution.

Nevertheless, a problem that should be solved is the one of adapting
psfrag to PDF. psfrag is *absolutely essential* when typesetting
mathematics...

+
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at telecom-
bretagne.eu |
| Directeur d'Études                      http://omega.enstb.org/
yannis |
|                                             Tel. +33
(0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                             Fax  +33
(0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département
Informatique                                              |
| TELECOM
Bretagne                                                      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3,
France     |
| Coordonnées Google-Earth : 48°21'31.57"N
4°34'16.76"W                 |
+
                             ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un
aquarium,
                                            mieux vaut n'être pas
poisson

                            ...the ball I threw while playing in the
park
                                           has not yet reached the
ground

               Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert
sprechen,
            nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen
mögen.