[Dev-luatex] Q: Can LuaTeX produce xdv?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jan 2 21:20:29 CET 2009

Jonathan Fine wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
> [discussion of plans snipped]
>
> PDF is very strong in the print field.  However, the web page is also an
> important medium, and as I said in my response to Mojca, I'd like to be

pdf is also quite strong in the preview on the web field; it packages
all the resources in the file which is quite different from dvi

> able to view and interact with typeset material on a more-or-less
> ordinary web page.

well, go ahead then and extend your favourite tex variant then; as far
as i understood you already did something like that; also keep in mind
that luatex, becoming a flexible machine, most likely becomes slower
than faster; maybe next year (when we're further with redoing the
backend) we might discuss dvi again;

> I'd also like to have TeX or an extension available as a typesetting
> engine for an interactive graphical typesetting program.
>
> For these reasons, and also so that LuaTeX and XeTeX could share more
> code and ideas, I'd like both systems to use a common extension of DVI.

well, it makes no sense to put a burdon on both developments; xetex is
the fast tex variant that uses libraries and has dvi as intermediate
format, while luatex is the flexible (at the cost of speed and to some
extend system integration) with a focus currently on pdf; each has its
use etc etc; if we (luatex team) at some point decide to drop dvi (as
taco mentioned) then we take that freedom (and might provide an api for
others to cook up a superdvi backend)