[Dev-luatex] Q: Can LuaTeX produce xdv?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Jan 1 23:27:43 CET 2009

Jonathan Fine <jfine at pytex.org> writes:

> Yannis Haralambous wrote:
>
>> the original DVI format already supports 4-byte character, what more
>> Unicode-savviness do you need? Of course one should decide whether
>> DVI should contain glyph indexes or Unicode codepoints.
>
> I'd like bidirectional information to be available.

Fundamentally DVI describes isolated graphemes on paper.  No sequence is
implied, no relation between glyphs, most certainly not directional.
Not even spaces are discernible, nor is it possible to rejoin hyphenated
words and/or line breaks or even do cut&paste except by heuristics.

So I don't think that the DVI format does not make for a sensible
starting point for embedding such information.