[Dev-luatex] Q: Can LuaTeX produce xdv?

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Thu Jan 1 21:53:48 CET 2009

the original DVI format already supports 4-byte character, what more
Unicode-savviness do you need? Of course one should decide whether DVI
should contain glyph indexes or Unicode codepoints.

Unless you mean by Unicode-savviness that one should have both glyph
indexes and Unicode codepoints (I think that's what XeTeX is doing). A
very bad approach since character and glyph correspondances are many-
to-many.

On the other hand, if we use just glyph indexes in the DVI file then
we can hardly do anything with it than print it (going to PDF will be
difficult since the correspondance with characters is lost).

--
+
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at telecom-
bretagne.eu |
| Directeur d'Études                      http://omega.enstb.org/
yannis |
|                                             Tel. +33
(0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                             Fax  +33
(0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département
Informatique                                              |
| TELECOM
Bretagne                                                      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3,
France     |
| Coordonnées Google-Earth : 48°21'31.57"N
4°34'16.76"W                 |
+
                             ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un
aquarium,
                                            mieux vaut n'être pas
poisson

                            ...the ball I threw while playing in the
park
                                           has not yet reached the
ground

               Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert
sprechen,
            nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen
mögen.