[Dev-luatex] Math sizes & styles

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Dec 24 19:37:30 CET 2009

On 24-12-2009 19:27, Javier Múgica wrote:
> Can a math layout like the one of the attached image be obtained with
> TeX? I think it is impossible. The size of the fractions is slightly
> smaller than that of the main text, and the script sizes for both of
> them are the same.
>
> When is it planned to make configurable the hardwired set of math
> styles as well as the tree of math style changes, if planned at all?
> In this example the changes from the main style to fractions and
> scripts would need to be decoupled.

We had some discussions about that a while ago and reached some general
conclusions that its should be doable without too much overhead, but
it's not on the short term agenda. Cleaning up the backend, font
inclusion code, revisioning the multi-directional typesetting, mplib 2,
c-webbing the code, and opening up more of the internals come first. We
waited with some of that till 0.50 was out. In 2010 we focus on
stability and don't want to introduce too many new things at once. But
more control over math will happen at some point.